They fucking hated it. Sixes across the board. It was like the Screencraft reader didn't hardly read the thing. Like they went into it with a bad attitude, because they just picked apart the odd misspelled word and went on about how they hated that it wasn't "period" dialogue, because rather than have everyone some stodgy Elizabethan character, I had them talk like real people. Like people of different social classes and from different countries. And my characters got a six, despite there being not one single complaint against any one of them.
So I'm fucking drinking tonight. I essentially paid a hundred bucks to have some asshole trash my script. I made changes last time, but not this time. I fixed the spelling errors, but multiple other readers gave me kudos for my dialogue, calling it "not derivative." I just liked that they talked and acted like people who do more than sit around in a ruined frieze, drinking and wearing togas. And that's my biggest issue with readers. They go WAY out of their way to give a no. There is no consistency. What one reader hates, another loves, and vice versa. There is no definitive way in, you just have to find someone who really loves your work, but you don't get to pick or have any say in matters. I mean, I KNOW this is a good script. Just a bad reader. I'm absolutely floored that they spent the better part of the page of notes telling me my spelling errors. Fucking useless.
This is the kind of reader who would have shot down Jurassic World, which grossed $1.52 billion. These people regularly tell me my style is like 300 or Troy (which both grossed half a billon) and then shoot my shit down. And then Hollywood is all "why do all our movies suck," and then they put out 100,000 superhero movies that are all effectively the same bullshit, with a different costume. It's because they have the LEAST efficient means of coming up with good script concepts. BAH! I'm just railing against the system.
Maybe I should take Connie up on her offer. Have the script sent to her cousin who works in Hollywood. I think I will. And I'll bust my ass on this script with Nid. If we can prove that we can make a good script without a budget, it should be proving our worth.
-----------------------------------------------------
And this shit always happens on my worst days. I had such a crappy day at work, and those always correspond with getting shit reviews. The last time I had one, it was the same shit. Bad day all around, topped off with sprinkles made of a project I poured my heart and soul into. And that ax head is four days late. No sign of it. And I worked with one of my least favorite clients, who goes to extremes to be as irritating as possible, because annoyed people give him attention, and he's totally starved for it. So, whatever. Fuck today.
No comments:
Post a Comment